We devote so much time to looking and feeling our best, but how many of us forget that scalp care should be a part of this routine? Tucked away beneath our hair, it’s little wonder that we neglect this area of our bodies more often than not.
What are the Symptoms of an Unhealthy Scalp?
If you’re wondering whether you need to take some steps towards improving your scalp care, you may be experiencing some of the following issues -
- Acne or spots on your scalp
- Abnormal hair loss
- Scalp pain
For many of us it can be easy to rectify these issues with some simple improvements to our hair scalp care. However, some of us will have underlying skin concerns that are exacerbating the condition of our scalps, and these will require extra attention to detail.
How to Take Care of your Hair and Scalp
If you are simply looking to address minor scalp concerns such as dandruff, itchiness, or lacklustre hair growth, you can try improving your scalp care treatment using over-the-counter products such as the following -
- JVN Hair scalp care oil – a vegan treatment that works hard to intensely nourish the scalp whilst at the same time adding moisture and nutrition.
- Regrowz Bamboo Hair Brush – this all-natural scalp care brush is an ideal everyday brush. The bamboo works to stimulate your scalp to produce its natural oils, the bamboo is naturally charged so your hair remains smooth, and bamboo has natural antibacterial properties too.
- Typology Anti-Dandruff shampoo with Piroctone olamine 1% + jujube extract – this shampoo is made from 95% naturally-derived ingredients and works to calm the scalp and reduce the fungus that causes dandruff.
- Grow Gorgeous Daily Growth Serum is ideal as an everyday product for scalp care for hair growth. It works to boost fine and thinning hair and uses a potent mix of caffeine, organic pea sprout and Chinese Scullcap to revitalise the hair.
How to Take Care of Scalp Psoriasis
Scalp psoriasis is a common skincare problem and can be treated with off-the-shelf products or prescription-grade treatment from your GP if it’s particularly problematic. Scalp care treatment for this skin condition can include steroids, foams, sprays and lotions.
If you prefer not to use steroids or topical treatments, then at Este we are able to offer an alternative. It’s called Exciplex Excimer Light Therapy and it uses UVB light to reactivate your body’s immunosuppression process. This treatment is non-invasive and painless and doesn’t just work on psoriasis but a number of other skin concerns too.
What is the Best Hair Care Routine for a Dry Scalp?
Dry scalp is a common ailment and most of us have probably found our hands reaching to have a scratch on our heads at some time or another. Dry scalp can be caused due to using a shampoo or products that are too harsh for your skin resulting in contact dermatitis. It can also be caused because of changes in weather, stress, or may even be down to the type of washing powder you use on your pillows.
To help tackle a dry, irritated scalp, you can try the following dry scalp care home tips -
- Coconut Oil – this super-moisturisng natural oil is a great way to add serious hydration to your scalp. Its antifungal and antibacterial properties give it kudos too. Simply melt a little coconut oil and then apply to your scalp, working in and leaving it for around 10 minutes. This is a great boost for dry scalp and helps give glossy hair too</h3>
- Aloe Vera – this wonder-product is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties so it makes sense that it will be great on an irritated, dry scalp. You can either apply topically to your scalp and let it soak in for around 10 minutes, or you can take aloe vera supplements or try the juice too</h3>
- Tea Tree Oil – if you’ve checked the ingredients of best scalp care shampoo treatments, you’ll probably see tea tree listed. That’s because it’s a super-power when it comes to antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal abilities. Try mixing a few drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil like coconut to create your own scalp care oil, leave for ten minutes, and let your scalp soak up the benefits.
A great scalp care routine can reap manifold benefits and not just for the skin on your head, but for your hair too. Take a little extra time to focus on this side of your beauty and wellness regime and we’re confident you’ll soon see and feel the difference in your scalp and hair health.
Get in touch with Este for a consultation if you need more advice.