What are the causes & symptoms of Alopecia?
There are multiple types of alopecia and what causes them varies. Alopecia can be caused by hormonal changes, stress levels in the body, ageing, as a side effect of medication or treatment, or you can simply be predisposed to developing it because of your genetic makeup.
Early signs of alopecia can be fairly easy to spot. The most common things you might notice are:
- Seeing small patches of balding hair on your head or elsewhere on your body
- Losing a large amount of hair in a short time frame
- Patches may start off small and then get larger and become more visible
- You may notice that hair starts to grow back in one bald area, only to see that another patch develops elsewhere
- You experience more loss of hair in spates of cold weather
- You develop brittle, red and pitted nails on your fingers and toes