During winter, hair becomes more vulnerable to the harsh effects of cold weather and an increase in indoor heating.
These shifts in temperature can drain the scalp and hair of essential moisture, resulting in lacklustre locks that are prone to damage.
Discover effective ways to shield and rejuvenate your scalp and hair in winter with our expert winter hair care tips.
Whether you experience seasonal hair loss, or are looking for the best ways to care for your hair during the winter, our guide on how to best care for your hair in winter will help you maintain strong healthy thick hair!
Este Medical Group is the leading expert in hair and skincare, and we know best how to treat hair conditions associated with seasonal changes, as well as what common hair care mistakes you should avoid in winter.
Winter Hair Care Essentials: Top Tips For Hair During Winter
Discover how to care for hair in winter with our Este hair essentials! Before going into specialised scalp and hair treatments for rejuvenation and hair maintenance, let's cover some at-home basics to help keep your hair looking its best.
Pro tips on how to protect hair in winter include:
- Keep head covered: Protect your scalp and hair from harsh weather by wearing hats, scarves, or hoodies to minimise exposure to cold winds and moisture-stripping elements.
- Don’t go out with wet hair: Cold winter weather can cause an increase in split ends, which can make your hair weaker leading to hair breakage and hair loss.
- Use moderation when heat styling: During winter your hair can become more susceptible to breakage, so try to reduce the frequency with which you use your heated styling tools to prevent moisture loss and damage. We know this is tricky, as we just mentioned above, don't go outside with wet hair. Try to find a balance during the week when it comes to how often you use your flat iron or curling iron for example.
- Avoid hot water: In the winter months hot showers and baths are the best, but washing and rinsing your hair with hot water can strip the scalp and hair strands, which may result in damage to the hair cuticle. Water that is too hot can impact hair growth and in some cases might even lead to some hair loss.
- Trim and cut hair: Have regular hair trims to eliminate split ends and promote healthier hair growth, regular hair salon visits will help to combat winter-induced hair damage. Ask your hairdresser for a deep conditioning scalp and hair mask if you have time to spare.
- Gentle hair washing: Try to use gentle, sulphate-free shampoos to prevent stripping natural oils from your scalp and hair, as this will help to maintain moisture in the hair. If you are experiencing female or male hair loss we recommend our mild Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo for signs of winter hair loss and winter hair care maintenance, it is gentle enough to use on a regular basis.
- Lock in moisture: Hydrate your hair regularly with deep conditioning hair and scalp treatments to alleviate the dryness caused by cold weather and indoor heating.
- Overnight hair care: Apply leave-in conditioners or moisturising hair masks to your hair and scalp before bed to provide a protective barrier and restore moisture while you sleep. The body does most of its repair work at night, so take advantage of this special time!
- Hydration & diet: You can hydrate your skin and hair from within! Drink lots of water daily, plus eat a whole foods diet with extra hydration-boosting foods like tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and apples.
With these winter hair care tips safeguarding your hair should be doable. This winter make it a point to follow our Este winter scalp and hair advice and you’ll find that your hair is much more healthy, vibrant, and resilient come spring!
Would you like to arrange a free Este UK hair loss consultation to talk about your specific hair care needs? We have many effective non-surgical treatments that will help to revive your scalp health and rejuvenate the strength and thickness of your hair.
Winter Hair Facts & Fiction
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about hair care in the winter months.
Do you lose more hair in the winter?
Overall, hair shedding tends to be fairly consistent throughout the year, but many men and women experience an increase in shedding in the winter due to factors like dry scalp or seasonal stress. Hair loss in the winter isn't necessarily linked solely to colder weather.
Can winter cause hair loss?
Seasonal changes are a factor in hair loss, but may not be the main cause of winter hair loss. For instance, dry indoor heating and colder temperatures can cause a dry scalp, and this may lead to irritation and hair shedding. That said, during the winter season (especially around the end of December and New Years!) lifestyle changes, holiday stress, and an increase in eating and boozing during the holiday season might impact hair health. As we mentioned above, exposing your scalp and hair to the elements by not wearing protection, like a winter hat, may lead to hair damage and hair loss.
Does hair grow slower in winter?
In general, hair growth remains relatively stable year-round, however there is evidence that supports hair grows a bit more slowly in the winter, largely a result of dehydration and a lack of moisture. If you are experiencing slower hair growth or areas of no hair growth on your scalp there is probably something else causing the problem like male pattern baldness, menopause, telogen effluvium, or alopecia for example.
The best way to determine the root of your type of hair loss is to have a professional hair loss consultation with the hair loss experts at Este Medical Group. Book a free hair loss appointment today!
Does hair thin in winter?
There are valid reasons why hair tends to thin or become more fragile in the winter. For one, drier indoor air can strip the moisture out of your hair and scalp. This causes dry hair and breakage, which leads to shedding and split ends.
Overall, hair loss in winter will vary from person to person, as fluctuating outside and indoor temperatures play a role, as well as your winter hair care routine, your diet, stress levels, plus more as we explained above. If you are finding that your at-home winter hair care is not making much of an improvement you should seek professional help and consider having a couple of medical clinic treatments to halt winter hair loss and fix winter hair damage.
Non-Surgical, Professional Treatments For Winter Hair Loss
How to prevent hair loss in winter and keep your hair strong and thick! In combination with sensible and common sense scalp and hair care we recommend the following professional treatments for the best looking winter hair!
Essential Scalp & Hair Follicle Winter Hair Treatments
When administered to the scalp, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) stimulates the hair follicles, helping to increase hair regrowth. This medical clinic treatment effectively boosts new hair growth, diminishes the pace of hair loss, and addresses alopecia. Find out how PRP micro injections can help regrow and thicken your hair.
The newer version of platelet-rich hair growth therapy is platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) and it’s excellent for natural hair restoration. PRF hair injections help hair grow healthy and improve blood flow in the scalp, making it the ideal winter hair treatment for hair growth and hair repair. Find out how PRF differs from PRP.
Non-Invasive Hair Growth Winter Treatment
This gentle scalp and hair treatment uses laser light to stimulate the scalp’s hair follicles to boost new hair growth and reduce hair loss. Laser treatment for hair loss is frequently the initial choice for men and women looking to diminish hair loss and enhance hair volume.
Indulge In A Winter Spa Day With Este: Pamper Your Hair With Nurturing Winter Care
Este Medical is the leading expert and service provider for non-invasive hair maintenance and surgical hair loss procedures in Turkey. This winter book yourself a nurturing winter hair care day and let us help you find a solution to your winter hair loss concerns. You’ll love the results!
January 2, 2024