Ah, skin breakouts, how you are sent to try us! Whatever we do, we can still rely on you – the last thing we want on a special occasion. You’re there like an old friend, waiting to smother us in a hug. Except it’s not a hug, it’s a forehead breakout, or a stress breakout and you will not jog on.
Well guess what friend, we won’t stand for this bad behaviour any longer! We are here to tell you that we are fighting back and this time we are armed with information on everything to do with skin breakouts and we mean business. Be scared acne, be very scared. First up, let’s break things down...
What Causes Breakouts?
An acne breakout can be a result due to a number of reasons. Here are some of the most popular causes as to why acne may be having a party on your face (or back, or chest) …
Yep this little chestnut is often the reason why you suddenly experience a mega forehead breakout – or chin acne spectacular - on that super special occasion you’ve been hoping you’ll look amazing for (but have been secretly stressing about for months).
If you’re experiencing a sudden acne breakout on face, it could be down to your diet. We know, it’s not fair, if only we could eat whatever we wanted and still look and feel amazing.
If you’re packing away things like white bread, white pasta, pastries, sugary drinks, and fries, and your skin isn’t thanking you for it, it’s time to switch up your diet.
Hello to the hormonal breakouts out there. What joy! Just as you’re dealing with your period, you get a seriously offensive sudden acne breakout to tackle too. Thanks hormones, thanks a lot.
Check your creams and lotions. If you’re breaking out, it could be that your skincare routine is clogging your pores. Bleurgh. Look for non-comedogenic products to help keep your pores nice and clear.
The other culprits
Not getting enough sleep, not drinking enough water, smoking, and your skin being touched by something for too long (your phone / a face mask for instance) can all play a helping hand in everything from breakouts on cheeks to chin breakouts.
How to Prevent Breakouts
‘How to get rid of breakouts?’ - it’s the question we all want to know the answer to, right? Ok, let’s go.
- Give your skin some serious TLC and break the acne cycle. Try a Hydrafacial for an absolute deep clean that incorporates LED light therapy to boost your skin and also work to kill acne-causing bacteria.
- Moisturise your skin – if you feel like your skin is always too oily it’s easy to think you don’t need a moisturiser. Wrong. Even oily skin can be dry underneath, and the mix of oil and dry skin can, in turn, clog pores and lead to spots. Clean your face thoroughly using gentle, acne-specific products and moisturise with a gentle, non-pore-blocking moisturiser.
- Drink plenty of water – it's the easiest, simplest thing you can do for your skin and yet so many of us don’t drink enough H2O. But when you do, you’ll be flushing away toxins from your body and giving your skin the best chance to keep itself looking good. Pass us a glass.
- Steer clear of stress – yeah, we know, easier said than done. However, if you can try and keep tabs on your stress levels you should see an improvement in your skin – especially if your breakouts are stress-related. Go for a walk, try meditating, go to bed earlier, read a book. Find what it is that helps you de-stress and stick to it.
Top tips to clear a breakout fast
If you’re suffering from a breakout right now and you need help ASAP. Here’s what you can do -
- Apply ice – this helps to restrict blood flow to the spot and will therefore help ease any redness so you can feel a little less paranoid that everyone’s looking at it.
- If your breakout acne is made up of large, red angry spots, an aspirin paste could help soothe and calm it. Crush a tablet with a little warm water and work into a paste and apply.
- Try a salicylic acid product – it cleanses the skin and exfoliates it too.
- Leave that spot alone! Don’t pick it, don’t squeeze it, don’t touch it. It might feel like torture but the best chance you’ve got of waving that bad boy goodbye is to leave it be.
Book a Free Consultation at Este
Skin breakouts are hard work. They can make you feel terrible. Just remember you’re not alone. So many of us struggle with spots during our lifetime, that most of us know what it feels like to have an angry red acne breakout on our face.
Try not to let it get you down, keep on living your life, and give yourself a break. If you would like some clinical advice, get in touch with your nearest Este clinic.