Here’s the scenario: you’ve just turned 21 and overnight you seem to have developed a serious case of premature wrinkles. They’re across your forehead, around your eyes, and between your eyebrows too. But hey, it’s nothing a triple layer of foundation won’t fix, right?
Wrong. Premature wrinkles can’t be fixed by strategically-applied foundation, they can only be fixed with a proper skincare routine, and we’re here to advise...
What are Premature Wrinkles?
Premature skin wrinkling isn’t particularly common, but that doesn’t mean it can’t and won’t happen. In terms of what’s normal with regards to ageing, you would expect to notice signs of ageing such as wrinkles and fine lines forming when you reach your 30s or early 40s.
If you’re experiencing premature wrinkles on face in your 20s or teenage years, then that would be considered slightly unusual. It isn’t usually anything to be worried about, but we appreciate it can be a little disheartening. Premature wrinkles can be caused by -
- Overexposure to UV light
How to Prevent Premature Wrinkles?
The old saying, ‘prevention is better than cure’ is certainly true when it comes to looking after your skin. Once wrinkles become deep set, they can be incredibly difficult to shift using simple, off-the-shelf creams and serums.
So, if you’re worried about getting premature eye wrinkles or you want to help stave off premature forehead wrinkles, now’s the time to invest in good skincare practices. Here’s what you can do -
- Avoid the sun: we’re not telling you to hide away indoors 24/7, but it’s a really good idea to wear a sun cream every day (yes, even when it’s cloudy). The higher the SPF factor, the better. You can also keep your face protected by wearing a decent sunhat, and keep eyes out of the sun with quality sunglasses.
- Facial expressions: are you prone to frowning? Do you often raise your eyebrows? If you have a habit of performing certain facial expressions on a regular basis you might want to see if you can minimise them a little. The need to squint because of sunlight can be reduced simply by wearing sunglasses for instance.
- Sunbeds: if you’re using them, it’s time to stop. Reach for the fake tan instead and do your skin a favour.
- Lead a healthy lifestyle: we’re talking regular exercise, a healthy diet full of fresh fruit and veg, and minimal alcohol. Plus, smoking is a no-no.
- Moisturise: if you’re not moisturising and you’re wondering why you’ve got a million premature wrinkles on hands, then perhaps It's time to give your skin a little TLC. Get straight to business with Beauty Pie Super Retinol Anti-Aging Hand Treatment.
How to get rid of Premature Wrinkles
Ok, if it’s too late for prevention and you’re now looking for ways to get rid of premature wrinkles, then take heart, there are options available to you.
If you’ve been wondering, ‘can i use anti wrinkle cream at a young age?’ then the answer is ‘yes, you can’. It’s fine to use an anti-wrinkle cream in your 20s, and should help keep wrinkles at bay. A quick and easy premature wrinkles treatment you can enjoy from home is to sign up to a skincare subscription package from a brand such as Skin+Me. Their clinical anti-ageing collagen boosting cream is packed with Niacinamide to help promote healthy, glowing skin, at the same time as improving skin texture, and targeting wrinkles and fine lines.
Another option for how to reduce premature wrinkles is to invest in salon treatments that work to specifically target this concern. You could give your skin an all-round boost and opt for a Hydrafacial. This wonder treatment helps improve your complexion, slough off dead skin, tackle signs of ageing, clears pores, and deeply hydrates your skin. It’s a great option for a whole range of skin concerns.
If you’re concerned about premature wrinkles on neck, it could be your posture that’s to blame. If you have a habit of looking down at your computer screen, or you spend too much time scrolling on your phone, think about your posture when you’re doing it. If your neck is constantly creased because you’re looking down, you could be causing premature wrinkles on your neck. There are lots of creams you can use for neck wrinkles, or you could go one step further and try an LED neck mask like the one by Sensse. The best thing you should do, though, is to sit up straight, get an ergonomic office chair, and have your computer screen set to the right height for you.
At Este, we also offer pixel laser resurfacing and LED phototherapy treatments to help target fine lines and wrinkles. If you’ve found that topical creams or serums aren’t working for you, perhaps an in-salon treatment would be more beneficial to your skin.
The Last Word
Don’t let premature wrinkles get you down, with a proper skincare routine and a healthy, balanced lifestyle you should soon see an improvement in the condition of your skin. And if you’re still concerned and wondering ‘why am I getting wrinkles at such a young age?’ then get in touch with us at Este and we’ll be happy to talk you through possible treatment options.